Sunday, August 1, 2010

Night Owls 09

Mum is in America and I'm ridiculously jealous, so I thought I would share a little bit of my adventures from this time last year.

It was the 1st of August 2009 and I was having the time of my life at Camp Wapanaki, a Girl-scout camp in Hardwick, VT. It was the beginning of a new session and I was a Unit-Leader for two groups called 'Night Owls'. Think 16 extremely awesome, 11ish year old American girls, living in the wilderness with a 4 1/2 Extra awesome counsellors (me, 3 others, and lifeguard Katie who was with us during the nights), and no shortage of sugary foods. It was definitely one of my favorite/hardest/most rewarding weeks.

So here are some highlights.



Megan (Australia/Co-counsellor), in our awesome Tent.


4 of the Girls and their creation Mohammed. 'Why did you call the walking box mohammed?' "Because its a box..er :)" I was never that clever.



Counsellors during our Camp out. One of the funniest nights EVER!!! It was soo hot and we ate way to much chocolate, but we had alot of fun.



My first experience Tye-dyeing



I'm so proud of my creation :)



Our Night Swim in Lake Wapanaki
Our group was called 'Night Owls' so we had to plan night activities. Crazy hard to have energy during the normal day activities, then have an extra hour or two of activities during sleep time. Crazy, but soo much fun.



All the Girls after our swim, (I think we were being power rangers but I was pretty much asleep) I totally don't miss my purple shorts or my eyebrows, but I hard out miss my tan!



Me and Katie my fellow lifeguard, getting ready to take our girls on a sponanious/surprise Kitchen Raid.




Night Owls 'Hoot Hoooot' naaww I miss my girlies :(





4 comments:

  1. Awww. We miss you kim!!! Your Mum is coming to our house tomorrow. Not sure how long she wants to deal with us er I mean stay! But we want her to stay as long as she can. Wish you came too but hopefully that will change soon!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ever since you told me you stayed in tents I have imagined crappy little tents with sleeping bags on the ground...I kinda felt sorry for you when you told me that. Now I see from the photo it was flash tents with beds! Looks like you had an awesome time at camp Wapanaki. (That name is hilarious - cracks me up every time...what on earth does it mean?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha Yeah our tents wernt too bad, except for the fact that they had no electricity and the 'walls' (if they can be called that) were canvas flaps and didn't attach to the floor (which was a wooden platform), we would often loose our bedding/belongings down there, or gain some lovely spider love.

    Its named Wapanacki after the abanacki Tribe that used to live in the area or something. It used to be a camp for boys, and a camp for the blind before that, and a resort for one of the presidents of the USA before that. Carazeeee

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is Haley from Wapanacki by the way.. and OMGOSH Kimberly! I was googling Wapanacki and the picture of us in the tent showed up! That was such a fun night! haha nothing like having your campers tell you to be quiet.. that is always a new change. but that was also the best night because I met the amazingness that is Squiggles! :D Miss you!

    ReplyDelete